August 10, 2020, 10:46:35 am

News:

Welcome to UK's No:1 Job Seekers Forum

register your CV

Competency-based interview tomorrow

Started by jeremmyy, October 20, 2019, 07:05:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremmyy

I have a competency-based interview tomorrow and I suck at these things.

Even for jobs that I could do standing on my head, I have failed interviews because of this rigid format of interviewing. It has always seemed to me that the biggest liars perform well in them, while the honest (even when they are the most experienced candidate) fall down because they don't use the right buzz words and can't spin a yarn using the STAR format off the top of their head.

Anyway, I have managed to find out that the competencies I will be assessed against are:

• Communicating and influencing
  • Delivering results
  • Working with others
  • Customer focus

I can think of examples for each of these, but I have absolutely no idea how the questions are going to be framed and, in my experience, there always a few curved balls in there.

Plus, I've done a completely different job for the past four years so my examples are going to relate to dealing with CEOs and MDs rather than the general public. I have found in the past that this is not understood by the interviewer.

Any suggestions?

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview