August 15, 2020, 02:22:05 pm


Welcome to UK's No:1 Job Seekers Forum

Post reply

The message has the following error or errors that must be corrected before continuing:
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Other options

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview

Topic summary

Posted by Job Hunter
 - January 05, 2013, 12:00:09 pm
If you're interested in becoming a teacher then you will need to undertake a specific teacher training course called Initial Teacher Training (ITT). 

If you already have a degree then you can complete a single year of ITT to become a teacher.

If you do not have a degree then you can study for an undergraduate ITT course so you can study for a degree and complete the ITT aspect at the same time.  There are two different types of undergraduate which allow you to become a qualified teacher.

  • Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)

  • This degree allows you to specialise in a certain subject (for example one that is currently in demand like maths, physics, chemistry or languages), whilst also completing your honours degree and QTS.

  • Bachelor of Education (BEd)

  • This is an honours degree course in education which tends to be most popular for primary teaching although is also available for aspiring secondary teachers.

These courses will take 3-4 years full-time and longer if being studied part-time.

Entry requirements to become a Teacher

Many higher education institutions offer these degrees and entry requirements vary from university to university.  In most cases you will be required to have at least 300 UCAS points and GCSE English language grade A-C or IELTS grade 6.0 (with no band less than 5.5).  You will also need access to work in a school to complete specific school based tasks and assessments (either paid or voluntary).  An enhanced Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check will also be carried out to ensure you are a suitable candidate.

See also:

How to become a Teacher