The salary certainly looks attractive! After leaving university with a 2:1 degree I started temping for just over the minimum wage and then ended up in a permanent job which was in an office but paid the same as a shop assistant. I did apply for a few graduate jobs but had no luck. Has anyone else been successful?
This does sound good for people wanting to go into finance. Judging from the original post, it might be good for people who hope to be financial advisors, perhaps. I'm sure you'll be given excellent training and a good experience when it comes to banking and investment etc.
Although the banking sector has a bit of an image problem at the moment there are some really good training packages here. Maths and IT degrees are the most relevant but there are marketing opportunities as well
Barclays has been in business for over 300 years and serves 48 million customers in over 50 countries worldwide and now offers a wide range of financial services from standard bank accounts, insurance, loans, mortgages and financial advice.
With a starting salary of £36k plus the opportunity to achieve bonuses of up to £8k, your graduate loan will be swiftly reduced!
Barclays Graduate Programmes are recruited at the end of the year where applications for all courses close at the end of December for the selection process to begin in the New Year and courses to start in September. There are several different schemes available, all of which can lead to professional qualifications:
- Retail and Business Banking (RBB) Leadership Programme - this programme focuses on the four main retail units of Barclays: Barclaycard; UK Retail Banking; Western Europe Retail Banking; and African Retail Banking. This is a two year programme with an eight week internship in each banking area.
- Human Resources Leadership Programme - the HR team are responsible for recruiting and retaining the best people to keep them in front of their competition. This course includes professional qualifications from the CIPD.
- Marketing & Products Leadership Programme or the Marketing & Analytics Leadership Programme - during the two year scheme you will learn how concepts become in-store policy and how this is affected by research and development, monitoring and improvement processes.
- The Credit Risk Leadership Programmes - there are two different schemes to choose from, Analytics or Delivery & Information although both primarily deal with the complicated issue of risk management. Analytics develops new credit risk strategies while Delivery & Information deals with putting it in practice.
- Technology - Product and Process Development Leadership Programme - you'll need to love technology and new innovations, as well as being able to manage teams and communicate effectively.
- Finance Leadership Programme - it's all about reporting on progress, and more importantly driving the business forward, identifying fraud or financial crime.
- Tax Leadership Programme - during the four-year scheme you will learn about the industry, understand technical strategies and gets specialist tax training.
Graduate Recruitment Process?
Once you have carried out some research into the Barclays graduate schemes available you will need to apply online via the Barclays Career website where you'll complete a questionnaire asking about your career and work experience history.
You will then be redirected to some online tests to review your numerical and reasoning skills.
If your application is successful you will be contacted to arrange a telephone interview to further discuss your background and particularly talk about the times you have demonstrated your leadership abilities.
If you are considered a suitable candidate you will be asked to attend an Assessment Centre where you'll be observed carrying out individual and group tasks and you'll be judged on your aptitude.
What do I need to apply?
To be considered for a Barclays Graduate Programme you will need to have a 2:1 degree, although no specific courses are required you will have an advantage if the degree is in a suitable course, plus 300 UCAS points from 3 A-Levels.